what do you see through your lens?

Sunday, February 6, 2011

"Snap Judgement " Article

So, last night I was hanging out with my friends; looking at magazines, gossiping, eating, the usual, when I came across an article in Allure magazine that caught my eye-"Snap Judgment", written by Augusten Burroughs. Its about how he (Burroughs) takes pictures of himself everyday to help him understand who he is. Its a really interesting article and I encourage you to read it if you get the chance. Its from Allure Magazine October 2010, page 136. Burroughs talks about how people may think he's weird because he studies photographs of himself, but don't we do this numerous times a day, when we look in the mirror? Except a mirror is different, because when you walk away from it, you usually forget what you see, until you look again, and perhaps see something different. With a photograph, as Burroughs says, you see you exactly as you were at that moment in time, and you can always refer to it later. As a photo major, the article was very interesting and got me thinking, about self-portraits, self reflection, etc. Again, I encourage you to read it, and as you do really think about what the author says, "If you take the camera out of the picture, so to speak, is self-examination so odd?"

No comments:

Post a Comment